PHILADELPHIA––AstraZeneca’s SGLT2 med Farxiga has already stepped on the FDA fast track with trial data showing it could reduce heart failure risks in patients whether they have Type 2 diabetes or not.
Turns out those “paradigm shifting” data show an even greater cardiovascular benefit for patients who don’t have diabetes than those who do—and this for a drug designed specifically to treat the disease.
Farxiga cut the risk of cardiovascular events by 27%, compared with placebo, in patients without diabetes. In those with the disease, the risk reduction amounted to 25%, according to a late-breaking subanalysis from the phase 3 Dapa-HF trial presented Saturday at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions.
Striving for Zero in Quality & Manufacturing
Pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers strive towards a culture of zero – zero hazards, zero defects, and zero waste. This webinar will discuss the role that content management plays in pharmaceutical manufacturing to help companies reach the goal of zero in Quality and Manufacturing.
In Dapa-HF, 45% of patients were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and the remaining 55% weren’t. Specific endpoints in the study showed a bit more of a mixed bag, according to Naeem Khan, AstraZeneca’s medical VP of cardiovascular and metabolic disease.
When it came to cardiovascular death, Farxiga cut that risk by 21% in patients with diabetes and by 15% in those without. On the flip side, patients with and without diabetes saw a 23% and 38% cut to the risk of heart failure incidents, respectively, Khan said.
“While the overall results have been truly groundbreaking, the subanalyses we’re presenting here are really paradigm-shifting science,” said Kiersten Combs, AstraZeneca’s VP of U.S. cardiovascular and metabolic disease.
“The consistency of the results across the subpopulation really speaks to the quality of this data and what it’s going to mean to heart failure going forward,” she added.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.